Benefit from learning with expert teachers.
At Apex Learning Virtual School, our superior faculty, administrators, and counselors are committed to thoroughly preparing students for college. The education team spends time getting to know each student individually and fostering each student’s love of learning and academic success.
Our education team supports and challenges students to do their best. The result — students achieve their academic goals and build skills for a lifetime of learning.
Administrators set high standards.
Apex Learning VS administrators lead with the highest expectations for academic excellence. Every day they consider how to develop new ways to provide the most engaging and challenging education for each student. They bring to their work many years of in-depth education experience — both in traditional and online private schools.
- Head of School Erica Carlson Erica Carlson has 15 years’ experience in operations, finance, and program management. During her four years at Apex Learning Virtual School, she’s worked to support student success by improving school communications, technical infrastructure, user experience, and data management. Ever since her first job as a Youth Corps trail crew leader, she’s been passionate about alternative educational opportunities, whether in the forest, in the classroom, or online!
- Director of Education Tom Robinson Tom has been a teacher leader in the public and private sectors for 20+ years. A graduate of the University of Washington, his rich and varied experience in high school education includes curriculum design, developing teacher leadership, technology integration, and personalized professional development for educators. He holds National Board Certification in Adolescent and Young Adulthood Mathematics, was a 2010 finalist for Washington State Teacher of the Year, has authored three children’s math and science books, and serves as a director for the Chelan (WA) Multisport Foundation. In his spare time, he enjoys travel, is fluent in Italian, and has worked as a tour guide in Italy for more than 20 years.
- Student Services Manager Amy Wasell has used over 20 years of training and project management experience to develop a program of excellence in support for students and families of Apex Learning Virtual School. With nine years of direct experience in student services, connecting academics to life after high school for students has been a top priority for her. For Amy, “What academic experience would I want for my own student?” is a daily guiding principle.
- Laura Collins Program Manager for Apex Learning Virtual School. Mrs. Collins graduated with a Bachelor of Arts from Seattle Pacific University in 2005 with a major in English Literature and a minor in Professional Writing. She has also been a high school girls’ volleyball coach for over 10 seasons.
- Danielle McHugh Lead English teacher with over 20 years experience as an educator and is the for Apex Learning Virtual School. She has taught for ALVS for fifteen years. She teachers the entire catalog of English courses from ninth to twelfth grade including Advanced Placement English Literature and Advanced Placement English Language.
- Shirley Sklavos has over 30 years teaching experience. She holds Director of Curriculum and Instruction licensing and National Board Science Certification since 2004. She holds two Master of Science degrees, both from Kansas State University.
“I truly enjoy impacting students globally and working with the accomplished adroit fireball teachers on the science team.”
Teachers are highly qualified subject experts.
Apex Learning Virtual School teachers have an average 21 years of teaching experience, including at least seven years of online instruction. By forging a relationship with each student, instructors help students achieve their highest potential, strengthen their confidence, and pursue their interests. Here is what you can expect from every Apex Learning VS teacher:
- Passion for and in-depth knowledge of the academic subject area
- Active engagement with students to motivate and track progress
- Intensive individual feedback and guidance
- Understanding of how to teach most effectively in the online environment
Counselors help full-time students find the right path.
Our counselors take the time necessary to get to know each student’s goals and interests. Our full time students receive one-to-one assistance from our experienced guidance counselors, who design a personalized program for each student to best meet individual academic goals. College counselors help students successfully navigate the college admissions process.
- Counselor, Joe O’Leary, loves helping each individual develop as a scholar and a person. With nine years of experience in high schools — six as a guidance and college admissions counselor — Joe understands how to communicate with and motivate today’s students. His interactions with students are enriched by best practices he learned while earning his M-Ed in school counseling.
Online course authors team up to create exceptional education experiences.
Our award-winning online curriculum is designed to meet the highest scholastic standards. Each comprehensive course is developed by the Apex Learning team of experts — curriculum professionals, instructional designers, subject-matter experts, and assessment specialists — who collaborate to challenge, engage, and motivate students.